About the Fund
California is blessed with tremendous natural beauty, biological diversity and economic opportunity. Yet, our remaining wildland heritage is in jeopardy from poorly managed growth and development. Californians have long recognized the importance of preserving our spectacular and precious wildlands. The California Wildlands Grassroots Fund (Cal Wildlands) was established to support the heroic efforts of activists to preserve California’s wildlands.
The Cal Wildlands supports conservationists advocating for the permanent protection of intact wildlands on both public and private lands in order to help preserve California’s wilderness and native biological diversity. Cal Wildlands defines “wildlands” as natural habitats, privately or publicly owned, that are (or have the potential to be) permanently preserved through legislation or deed restrictions.
Cal Wildands will accept applications at any time. Funding decisions are made on a quarterly basis. If you’d like to submit your application in time for a specific quarterly review, then please turn in applications by 5 pm on the following days:
- February 15 for the spring review
- May 15 for the summer review
- August 15 for the fall review
- November 15 for the winter review
If the deadline falls on a holiday or weekend, then applications will be due the next business day at 5 pm.
Eligiblity and Priorities
To be eligible to apply to the California Wildlands Grassroots Fund, you must be able to answer YES to the following eligibility requirements/questions:
- Are you and your organization devoted to protecting and preserving wildlands and open space in California?
- Are you and your organization based in a California community?
- Are your organization’s annual expenses $100,000 or less?
- Does your organization have a 501(c)(3) status or 501(c)(4) status from the Internal Revenue Service, or is it a sponsored project of a 501(c)(3) organization?
- If you are an individual, are you affiliated with a 501(c)(3) or 501 (c)(4) organization?
- Is your funding request $5,000 or less?
If you answer NO to any of these questions, you will not qualify for a grant from the California Wildlands Grassroots Fund.
Click here to get more information about our funding priorities and eligibility requirements.
How to Apply
Please check all eligibility requirements before starting the online application. Click here to apply, learn about emergency requests, and get tips to improve your application.
Annual Grassroots Convening
In conjunction with the Northern California Environmental Grassroots Fund, Cal Wildlands hosts an annual convening of all its grantees. The day-long session is a time for learning and networking, and is usually built around a central theme, such as fundraising or communicating your group’s story. Click here to learn about the next Grassroots Annual Convening.
Grant Reporting Instructions
If your group is awarded a grant, you must provide a final grant report within one year of receiving the money, or before your group can receive additional funding. Click here for the grant reporting instructions.
Current and Past Grantees Grants
Click here to see a list of California Wildlands Grassroots Fund grantees.
For More Information
Karla James, Managing Director