The Consumer Privacy rights is currently closed, but will be announcing a new funding opportunity in 2017. Please Click here to receive notifications about the Consumer Privacy Rights Fund and other funding opportunities.
About the Fund
The Consumer Privacy Rights Fund supports privacy protection and privacy education efforts.
The upcoming grant round will support projects that educate users, regulators, and enterprises regarding issues relating to protection of privacy, identity, and personal information through user control, and to protect users from online threats.
The Consumer Privacy Rights Fund is not currently accepting applications. Click here to receive notification of future grant opportunities.
- The applicant must demonstrate expertise in consumer privacy.
- The applicant must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, or be fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Nonprofit colleges, universities, university clinics and graduate programs are eligible to apply, but university overhead is limited to 5% of grant award.
- An applicant’s principal place of business must be located in the United States and projects must benefit consumers in the United States.
- If you are still unsure of your eligibility or have questions, you can watch our “How To Apply” webinar by clicking here.
Scope of Allowable Activities and Projects
- Projects must be targeted towards users, regulators, and enterprises residing in the United States. These projects may be regional, statewide or national in scope.
- Proposals must relate to privacy protection and privacy education efforts.
- It is anticipated that eligible projects may encompass, but not be limited to, the following issues or focus areas:
- Protection of privacy, identity, and personal information through user control.
- Protecting users from online threats.
- Furthering the policies of the Video Privacy Protection Act, which prevents the wrongful disclosure of video tape rental or sale records [or similar audio visual materials].
- Allowable Activities: Projects may use this grant funding to engage in the following activities to complete their objectives:
- Education or organizing including trainings, classroom activities, conferences, and/or print, web-based or social media outreach.
- Policy development and implementation, including related research or advocacy.
- Legal advocacy including case development and litigation.
Projects may not use this grant funding to engage in the following activities:
- Electioneering or other political activities prohibited by IRS 501c(3) regulations.
- Activities primarily targeted or conducted outside of the United States.
How To Apply
The Consumer Privacy Rights Fund is not currently accepting applications.
Consumer Privacy Rights Fund Webinar
Are you interested in applying to the Consumer Privacy Rights Fund, but are not sure if your project is a good fit? Do you want to learn more about how to use our online application process? Do you have questions about what you should include in your work plan or evaluations? Click here to watch the recording of our “How To Apply” Webinar! Click Here to download slides.
Click here to learn more about the advisory volunteer funding board of individuals with tremendous expertise in the field of privacy rights.